Thursday, June 23, 2011

Time to Try Diabetes Without Insulin

Today is an exciting day for me! This morning I made the decision to discontinue insulin use for a trial period. This is the next big step towards my goal to manage my diabetes without medications.

This is not a snap decision on my part. Nearly six weeks ago I made a radical change in my diet by switching to a slow carb diet, a la Tim Ferriss' 4 Hour Body. Almost from the start I found the need to reduce my insulin dosage in order to avoid low sugar results. For the last two days I have been injecting 3 units of rapid insulin with breakfast only, and 5 units of long acting insulin at bedtime. This is a remarkable change when you compare it to my pre-May 15 daily averages of 30 units of rapid and 40 units of long lasting insulin.

It's time to try this.

This Tuesday I go see my doctor and diabetic nurse to discuss my progress over the last quarter and my lipids for the last year. My blood work was done four weeks after I changed the way I eat. Despite this short amount of influence I can tell you that my HgA1c is down by 0.4, my LDL is down significantly, my Chol/HDL ratio is down, and since May 15 my blood pressure is way down. Despite these changes, and the obvious shift in my body's need for external insulin, I expect some resistance to the notion of cutting medications.

I'll update you all on how this meeting went and let you know how my no-insulin trial is going in a blog next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment