Saturday, June 25, 2011

Start Your Day With a Fat Burning Breakfast

One of the keys for me to lose weight during the last few weeks has been having the discipline not to overeat. A key for controlling my blood sugar is to measure how many carbs I eat in a meal. For the last six weeks I have eaten the same thing for breakfast every morning. It's a breakfast that meets both of my goals. It keeps me satisfied until my next meal and gets my day off to a great start.

Here's how I make it:

  1. Start with a medium skillet and add a bit of grapeseed oil. Heat the pan just until the oil flows.
  2. Break one whole egg into the pan and add 1/4 cup of egg whites. Scramble them up with a little salt and pepper.
  3. After the eggs are firm add one cup of cooked green lentils and stir all together until the lentils are warm.
  4. Remove to a plate or bowl to eat. I like to add some hot sauce to the mix for flavour.

After I have finished eating the egg / lentil mixture I eat about three cups of spinach. I find it easier to eat if I shrink it down a little in the microwave, so I use the same bowl. It seems like a lot of spinach to eat raw, but not so daunting heated with a little vinegar.


I make the green lentils ahead of time in batches big enough to last a few days. Pour a 900 ml carton of low sodium stock into a pot and bring it to a boil. While the stock is heating measure 600 ml of dry green lentils and rinse them in a sieve. Add the lentils to the boiling stock, reduce heat to simmer and cover. It will take about 45 minutes for the lentils to be done. Stir about every 8 - 10 minutes.

Here's the nutritional information for the whole breakfast assuming a half tablespoon of oil:

Carb: 44.5 g
Fibre: 17.6 g
Protein: 31.2 g
Fat: 14.75 g (7 g from grapeseed oil)
Calories: 460

It's a big, low glycemic index breakfast that's high in fibre and protein. The meal is also very low in sodium if you cook your own lentils from dry in either water or low sodium broth. It's extremely easy to make and keeps me fueled for at least four hours until it's time for my next meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment