Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Happy Day - No More Insulin With Doc's Support

As mentioned in my last blog I had my quarterly date with my doctor and diabetic nurse this week. After five weeks on a slow carb diet I am successfully controlling my blood sugar without insulin injections. My blood work also showed a significant decrease in LDL, and my blood pressure had dropped by 20 points since my last appointment.
My questions going into the appointment were:

What would the reaction be to my change in diet and the resulting change in insulin requirements?

Would I be able to negotiate at least a reduced dosage on some of my oral medications?

It took my nurse a little time and a little coaxing as she looked through my log to get to the "no insulin" punch line. At first she was confused and wanted to know how it was possible. A short expanation of the 4 Hour Body program followed. "So you're not eating any starch?" "Well, except for on Saturdays ...", I told her. She marvelled at what I ate on Saturday, also without injections, and how my blood sugars stayed in check. I had a slight high Sunday morning then everything fell right back into line after my typical breakfast. In the end both she and my doctor were supportive of continuing without insulin if I can manage the type of control that I have been experiencing.


My other meds were a little more challenging to negotiate. My LDL had dropped from 2.21 to 1.52 and my blood pressure had dropped from 148/90 to 120/75. In the end my doctor agreed that I could cut the Crestor and Norvasc doses in half and we will review in three months. I had to promise to return to my previous Norvasc dose if my blood pressure goes back above 125/85.


Collaboration. I love it!


It may seem like a small victory, but the getting the vote of confidence to reduce my medications was a huge step for me as I work towards my ultimate goal of no medications to support my diabetes.


Looking forward to any comments either from medical professionals or from others with type 2 diabetes.

2 comments:

  1. Brian, I am really happy for you and you should be proud of your accomplishments!!! I think it is so typical and also not at all surprising that you as the patient need to convince the medical community that your diabetes (often a product of a carbohydrate rich diet) can actually be treated solely by eliminating the offensive agent. Most of us still aren't convinced and patients like yourself who prove to us otherwise are hopefully the start of a new trend! Way to go again, I am confident you can get off those medications keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much. I really appreciate the encouragement. I have enough determination to chip away at the naysayers by building credibility.

    ReplyDelete